Sunday, January 31, 2010

Thank goodness for waterproof mattress pads

Tonight we grabbed a quick meal of pad thai before hunting for the local Mardi Gras parade.  After about 45 minutes of driving around a town that is only 14 square miles, we decided that the parade apparently wasn't happening tonight.  Grace had fallen asleep in the car so we went home.

Once we got home, Grace woke up for about an hour and then it was time  for her to get ready for bed.  After brushing her teeth etc., I tucked her into bed and laid down beside her as usual, until she went to sleep.  Just as she dozed off, she threw up in my face.  Literally.  In. My. Face.

So I followed my instincts and yelled for help.  David came running and, wonderful man that he is, grabbed Grace and took off for the shower.  Before they made it out the bedroom door, Grace splattered him with pink pad thai.  I still don't understand why it was pink!  Pink as in baby lotion pink.  And before you ask, no Grace hasn't eaten any baby lotion.  And not only did she douse David, she managed to drench the bathroom door, too - all seven feet of it.

So David took care of bathing Grace and I took care of cleaning up the pink vomit.  First, I stripped the bed and started a load of laundry.  Then I pulled as many chewed up noodles off the floor and door as I could and I flushed them down the toilet.  Next, I grabbed our carpet steamer and steamed the carpet.  After that I got my trusty Hoover Floormate out and cleaned the tile floor in the bathroom.  Finally, I cloroxed the door so it wouldn't smell and the paint wouldn't corrode away from Grace's stomach acids.  By this time, the first load of laundry was washed so I moved it to the dryer and started the second load with the bathroom rug and towel that had been sloshed with Grace's pink projectile puke.

As I finished all that, David finished bathing Grace and put a fresh pair of pajamas on her.  We made the decision to let Grace sleep in the bed with us in case she got sick again.  So  after brushing her teeth and getting her some water, we put her in the bed between us with Chloe at her feet.  Then just as we dozed off, it happened again.  Grace vomited on my face.  Again.  Seriously.  Vomit.  On.  My.  Face.  Twice.  In one night.  

This time I didn't have to yell for help.  The smell alone woke David up.  As he was grabbing an empty plastic bin I made it to the bathtub with Grace.  One more time, pink noodles were spewed all over the place.  So I held Grace and got into the shower - clothing and all.  This time, David took over the cleanup detail.   He did a great job  - he started yet another load of laundry and found clean sheets for our bed.  Meanwhile, Grace and I both washed our hair and got all cleaned up.  Then out we went for another fresh set of pajamas. 

After all this, I decided Grace and I would sleep on the couch downstairs.  It's a leather  sofa and thus easy to clean and it has a washable slipcover.  Plus, this way David could sleep tonight and take over in the morning.  Most of all, I just didn't want to take the chance of waking up to vomit in my face for a third time. 

So downstairs Grace and I went.  I grabbed one of the few vomit-free pillows, a clean sheet, and the plastic bin.  I brushed Grace's teeth and gave her some Gatorade to drink.  Then I tucked her in on the couch, sat beside her, and showed her the bin.  I told her that if she thought she needed to throw up to let me know and I would hold the bin for her.  She said, "Oh-tay" (okay) and reached for it.  And then threw up again.  Poor baby.  Luckily cleanup was super fast this time.  She drank a little more Gatorade and then fell asleep. 

So now it's after 2am and Grace is sleeping so I plan to do the same for as long as I can. Hopefully, she's thrown up whatever made her sick and will feel better in the morning.  If she continues to throw up like she has been, we may take her to a clinic.  

1 comment:

  1. Ok, so yeah that was gross. Not quite sure how you and David didn't throw during all of this, but props to you both! I almost threw up in my mouth reading it. Hope she got over that quickly. I don't know if I'd be going back to eat that again...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...