Thursday, December 16, 2010

Cinnamon Christmas ornaments

I found a recipe online to make homemade Christmas ornaments.  These particular ornaments also claimed to double as wonderful air fresheners.  So Grace and I decided to try them out.  The recipe was simple and straightforward.  You take 1 cup of cinnamon, 1 cup of applesauce, and 2 tablespoons of Elmer's glue and mix it all together to form a dough.  Then you make or cut out your shapes and either set them out to dry overnight or bake at a low temperture in the oven until they harden.  If you're going to hang them as ornaments, be sure to make a hole at the top using a toothpick or pencil before they dry...

Grace and I had a delightful conversation while we made them.

"Yook, Momma!  I'm a took-ee man!"  (Look, Momma!  I'm a cookie man!)
Grace informed me that "Fayff yikes Trissmush trees." (Faith likes Christmas trees.) 
Indeed she does.
 "Tween-ee wants a straw."  (Queenie wants a straw.) 
I never realized how much candy canes resemble straws...
 "Momma, you want a bell!  Dran-da-ee yikes a bell, too!" 
(Momma, you want a bell!  Granddaddy likes a bell, too!)
"Dray-cee wants a star!"
(Gracie wants a star!)
"Dray-cee wants a Teen-cur-Bell, too!"
(Gracie wants a Tinkerbell, too!)
"And Mee-mee can have a Teen-cur-Bell yike me!"
(And Mammee can have a Tinkerbell like me!)

What should we give Chloe?
"Kuh-Low-ee needs a bell." 
(Chloe needs a bell.)

What does Stephen want?
"Stee-bin wans a spa-choo-lah!" 
(Stephen wants a spatula!)

You're probably right.  What about Luke?
"Yuke wans a spa-choo-lah, too!" 
(Luke wants a spatula, too!)

Okay.  What about Aunt Bethany?
"Bett-ann-ee wans a Stee-bin!" 
(Bethany wants a Stephen!)

What about Nanna?
"Mann-uh needs a straw!  Dran needs a straw, too!" 
(Nanna needs a straw!  Gran needs a straw, too!)

What does Pappy want?
"Pappy doesn't get eeny-fing!  He was on the naw-ee list!" 
(Pappy doesn't get anything!  He was on the naughty list!)

Well then.  What about Daddy?  Does Daddy get anything?
"Da-ee gets to pay wiff me!" 
(Daddy gets to play with me!)

As a side note, the ornaments really were very easy to make although I found them to be a little "goopy."  And our hands were slightly brown and sticky from cinnamon until we washed up.  This recipe was super simple and convenient since I had everything we needed in my pantry.  It also made two cookies sheets full of ornaments - more than enough for us.  And I must admit that they do smell rather enticing.  Our tree is hung close to our front door and I've had more than one person ask if I had recently baked a pie or something...  Our house smells like Christmas and there's no better smell that that.  And we couldn't have had a better time than baking them up together.

1 comment:

  1. I have had them before and they smell good. Also I had someone one year made them in the shape of gingerbread men and she painted them and we took one to all the women in Cas's family one year for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...