Tuesday, December 29, 2009

OB checkup

This morning I went in for a scheduled OB appointment and I took Grace with me. While we were waiting to be called back, she sat in my lap and let out a little gas. Then she giggled and said "Oops. My hiney said hell-whoa" (Oops. My hiney said hello.) Which was quickly followed by "It's uh steen-key hell-whoa." (It's a stinky hello.)

Overall, she was pretty amazing. Quiet and patient. I gave her a lollipop which kept her entertained for most of the appointment. The nurses even commented on how good she was and they gave her three Dora stickers that Grace loved.

Then the nurse finally called me back. She weighed me. I gained 2 pounds since my last visit on November 20. Then they took my blood pressure which was 116 over 72. Finally, after filling out some more paperwork regarding family medical history, the nurse took me and Grace to my room.

While waiting for the doctor, Grace played in the dressing area aka "tent." Then she looked at me and asked "You gonna get neck-ed, Momma?" (Are you going to get naked, Momma?) Um, no, Grace, I'm not. "Why not?" Well, because the doctor is just going to listen to Momma's tummy. "Oh-tay." (Okay.) Then she said "Here, Momma. Put you feet here" and pointed to the stir-ups. I guess she was remembering the ultrasound experience.

Finally, the doctor came in and we listened to the baby's heartbeat. It was nice and strong and loud. Then they took me back to the weighing station to take some blood. I held Grace while the nurse poked me. Grace was very still and quiet; just watching what was going on. Then the blood stopped flowing and I made the mistake of looking at the vial.

That's when it happened. I fainted! Really. I vaguely remember staring into space, feeling my hands and back get clammy. Then everything started slowing down. I felt the blood drain from my face. I could barely hear the nurses. I felt like I was wearing ear plugs because everyone sounded so far away. And then my vision started getting smaller and smaller until I couldn't see anything. The nurses were asking "Are you okay? Are you okay? I think we have a fainter!" Then someone handed me a glass of water and told me to drink it. Slowly the world shifted back onto its axis. And I was okay. A little shaky and still clammy, but okay. So I sat at the nurses station until everything was back to normal.

All this time, Grace just sat calmly in my lap and watched everything. After a while, the nurse came back and gave me a swine flu vaccine. Thankfully, I didn't faint this time. And Grace just said "You got boo-boos, Momma. I tiss it. All beh-er" (You got a boo-boo, Momma. I kiss it. All better). Finally, we were done and Grace said "I won doe home." (I want to go home.) So we did. Hopefully, our next visit will be less dramatic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...