Wednesday, October 20, 2010

SMITH

As you probably remember, I was recently in a wedding in Rome, Georgia.  I really wanted to do something special for the bride and groom since they are a lovely couple and are some of my dearest friends.  So I decided I would take some photos from their wedding weekend and turn it into a sentimental keepsake. 

I didn't want to post about this idea until I had a chance to present it to the bride and groom.  (I got the idea from the arts and crafts festival here last year when Melissa came to visit) and I sincerely hope the newly married Smiths like it.  I promise my feelings won't be hurt, however, if it's not hanging in their house when I come to visit.  I still have a few things from my wedding that we aren't fond of but would pull it out for display if the gift givers ever came to visit.  Just to be polite.  Luckily, I haven't had to do that.  Yet.  Seriously though, I hope no one ever feels obligated to pull something out that I've given them just because I'm coming to visit.  I am 100% okay with re-gifting unwanted or unneeded gifts...but I digress...
The idea is to have a collage spell out their newlywed's last name SMITH with various pictures from their wedding weekend. 

S - staircase inside Frost Chapel where they were married
M - woodwork inside the chapel 
I - the beautiful couple kissing in front of a water fountain after the reception
T - the crossbeams outside the bride and groom's room at the hotel
H - the window frame from inside their bridal suite
I managed to get these photographs for some variation in the letters. 

S - cake topper on the wedding cake
M - archway from a building in downtown Rome
I - lamp post from downtown Rome
T - stained glass window above the alter inside the chapel
H - monogram from Melissa's something old, borrowed, and blue

While both sets spell out SMITH, I personally prefer the first arrangement because it seems slightly more subtle using naturally occurring subjects.  By the way, when Melissa and I saw this type of art at the Fairhope arts and crafts festival last year, the artist charged $8 per letter plus $125 for the frame...  And there's no sentimentality attached...

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...