Thursday, January 13, 2011

School board

I found this frame at a thrift store and just couldn't resist it. 
 It was only $5.  So I got it and brought it home. 
 The backing was nailed to the frame so I ripped all the nails out.
 And this is what I ended up with.
 I put an old tshirt on Grace and tied it around her waist and let her help paint.  Grace loves to paint.
 And she went to work on the frame's insert.
 She wanted it pink, of course.  So I let her paint the inside pink while I painted the exterior frame white.
Grace is a very detail oriented three year old.
Quite meticulous in fact.  She patiently painted the entire frame pink.  And only got a smidgen on the countertop.  It came off easily enough though.  Grace was a big help and thoroughly enjoyed herself.
After we finished painting and everything dried, I covered the backing with some green and pink polka dot fabric I had on hand and then I put all the pieces back together again.  Finally, we hung our new fabric covered board beside our refrigerator at Grace's height.  It's a pretty push-pin board now! 

I plan to use it for our "Letter of the Week" program that I'm working on.  That's another story but basically Grace is learning her ABCs and the sounds they make.  This is going to be our school board where we  hang our letter of the week and our corresponding color activities.  It's amazing what a little elbow grease and a can of paint can do.  Our cheapo frame has completely transformed into a beautiful and functional work of art and I couldn't be happier...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...