Wednesday, January 19, 2011

It's a nice start

For my very first sewing project, that is.
 I even got a smile from Grace when she tried it on.  Even if it was a forced smile.
 Actually, she seems to like it well enough.
But Grace insisted on taking it off immediately "Caws I need sum black shoes furst!" 
(Because I need some black shoes first!) 

While the dress is not exactly what I had in mind, it turned out okay.  I had planned to add a second tier to the skirt and cute little pantaloons but decided that called for way too much effort.  Especially for my first project.  I made those ruffles at the bottom of the dress by hand.  And let me tell you that was a lot of work.  

I also think the sash is too wide.  I probably need to sew it onto the dress.  Otherwise they'll never stay together.  I can't figure out how to hide the seams if I do that though.  Speaking of seams, mine are fairly straight and unnoticeable.  But the inside of the dress is a mess.  Threads are going every which way and little pieces of fabric are unravelling slightly from the cuts.  Next time I think I'm going to attempt making the outfit reversible so it will look a bit cleaner. 

I suppose it's a good thing I didn't expect perfection from my first attempt!  I'm glad I've decided that it doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful.  In the meantime, I need to figure out how to make buttonholes.  I made this dress so it would button up the back but I have no idea how to sew buttonholes.  So I have three cute little buttons on the back with no where to go...  I guess it's time to research!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...