Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Sew inspired

I have an idea for a feminine, vintage-inspired, boutique-y style dress for Grace that I am really excited about.  And a matching one for Faith, too of course, but I'm going to tackle Grace's first.  She's bigger and therefore easier (in my mind) to dress.  So I looked for a pattern at Hancock Fabrics but quickly gave that idea up.  Frankly, I don't particularly like digging for needles in haystacks - especially with children in tow.  In addition, I couldn't find any rhyme or reason to Hancock's pattern order which just gave me another excuse to stop looking.  Besides, I seriously doubt there's a pattern out there for what I want anyway. So I've decided to wing it.  I mean, I know in my mind what I want; so surely I can figure out how to make it without buying a pattern.  Furthermore, I'm not exactly the type that tends to follow directions anyway... 

So, instead of taking everyone's advice and starting with something simple, I'm diving in head first and going all out for my first sewing project.  And I'm sew excited about it!  My philosophy is simple.  Be fearless.  It's only fabric.  And since Grace is just 3 years old, she's hardly a discriminating critic.  As long as it's pink, somewhat girly, and a dress, she'll love it.  And that's all that matters to me.

I've already sketched my idea out on paper and cut the fabric for the top.  And I've cut the fabric for the first layer of the skirt.  And I just finished chopping up my polka dot fabric into strips for the sash.  After trying to tie the sash around Grace's waist I realize that I should have bought a longer piece of polka dot fabric...  But that's okay, I'll make it work.  Now, I just need to decide on the ruffles, straps, and the second tier skirt.  Then, I need to make up my mind if I'm going to put in the extra effort to hide all my seams like my friend Angela does.  She makes her dresses reversible.  I'm thinking that calls for more skill and ambition than I currently have...  At the rate I'm going I should be done with this tomorrow or the following day.  Not bad for a first timer.  Of course, a lot depends on the sewing.  I have a feeling that the cutting was the easy part...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...