Thursday, January 21, 2010

A visit to an old cemetary

While David was in Charlotte this week, I took Grace to visit an old cemetary where many of my mother's ancestors are buried. 
As I've gotten older, I seem to become more and more interested in researching my family history.
The cemetary itself is quite old - dating back to the 1800s.  It had a very peaceful feeling about it.
I took photographs of many of our ancestors' headstones.
Even Grace had a good time exploring the cemetary.
She surprised me by saying, "Yook, Momma!  Duh rock fell down! See?"  (Look, Momma!  The rock fell down!  See?) as she climbed onto one of the markers.
Some of them were so old, they had hand carved inscriptions.
Some had even been broken and then put back together.
Many were so old it was hard to read their inscriptions.

As we walked the grounds, we found a path that led to an old outhouse.
My mom said that she remembered using this outhouse as a little girl at a funeral.

The inside of the one-room church is stunningly beautiful in its stark simplicity.  I love the old pews and how they all face the center of the room.  The wooden floors are absolutely gorgeous and I suspect original to the church.

There is even an old woodburning fireplace still in use.
As we left the church, Grace found a little four legged friend.
Cat seemed to really like Grace.
But not as much as Grace liked cat.  All in all, it was a wonderful trip.  We were able to spend time with my family and I have many, many photographs now to help with the research of our family history.  Maybe one day we'll go back again with Nanna and Gran and learn more about our family laid to rest there. 

1 comment:

  1. Some crazy person would have been living in there. And that cat could be reincarnated! You need to be careful wondering around!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...