Thursday, February 24, 2011

Fish biscuit

Seeing Faith do this makes me think she's part chipmunk.  Or beaver.  Or something.
 But she's only teething.
 Her teething, however, is starting to damage my furniture.
So I whipped this up for her to use instead.   My emphasis was on its function not form.  And I needed something fast to save my furniture...  If you look closely, you'll see I didn't even bother changing out the thread on my sewing machine.  And I didn't bother hiding any of my stitches.  In fact, what looks like a nose or mouth was some practice stitches using different feet for another project.   Come to think of it, this actually pretty sloppy.  I should be probably be embarassed...but I doubt Faith will be much of a critic...
 Inside I put a little unfinished wooden oval.  I'm thinking it should help with my baby's need to gnaw.
I used all fabric remnants and sewed a quick (real quick) case for the little wooden block.    Then I stuffed the tail with wet wipes wrapper and tiny fabric scraps.  I decided this chew toy needed a crinkle factor like the expensive toys at the store.  So I took an empty wet wipes container and cut it into strips and then stuffed it into the tail before sewing it all up.  Like I said, this was a quick project to save my furniture, not win any sewing awards. 
 She actually seems to like it.  I've dubbed it Faith's "fish biscuit."
When I picked Grace up from school, she wanted to see it.  She bit down on it like Faith and said, "Momma, this fish biscuit is kinda hard."  Um, you're not supposed to really eat it darling.  Then Grace was kind enough to point out that it's missing an eyeball.   Fish have two eyeballs, you know, but I only had one pink button.  Now Grace wants me to make her a fish biscuit like Faith's but she needs two eyeballs on hers... 

My work is never done.  Smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...