Saturday, February 26, 2011

Mardi Gras parade

This year we were fortunate enough to go to the Daphne Mardi Gras parade with our friends Melanie and Jarrett.
We met at a restaurant and hung out before the parade. 
Melanie made a Thumbelina out of a napkin and Grace's thumb.
And Melanie was sweet enough to teach Grace the song "Thumbelina."  Lyrics found here.
There was an amazing turnout for the parade.  Both sides of the street were 5+ people deep for the entire route.
But soon enough the parade started.  We saw carts lit up with lights.
And men marching in kilts.
I love men in kilts!  Especially when they play music.
We saw dancers.
And flag twirlers.
And half a dozen floats tossing goodies out to the crowd.  I only took one picture of the floats before putting my camera away.  Grace was with me and I was trying to help her catch some goodies.  All she wanted was a moon pie.  She talked about getting a moon pie at the parade all afternoon.  And it was much harder than I expected getting one.  In fact, every time one was tossed our way, someone else snatched it up. 
Even Faith and David managed to catch some beads while they waited on the restaurant deck.  Unfortunately, Grace and I didn't catch any moon pies.  But then we sat down to eat our burgers and fries and Grace started climbing on the ground under the table.  I asked her what she was doing and she replied, "I see a moon pie!"  I looked around and didn't see anything, but she insisted she saw a moon pie.  Then she climbed under my chair, and sure enough, there was a moon pie.  I couldn't believe it.  She found her moon pie!
Meanwhile, Jarrett had gone around the corner where the parade passed by a second time. 
And he caught a moon pie for Grace.
Grace was so happy over her two moon pies and could care less about any of the beads or toys.  All she wanted was a moon pie.  And she got it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...