Saturday, February 18, 2012

Our first homemade king cake

It's Mardi Gras season, y'all.
So the girls and I attempted to make our very first homemade king cake.
We made ours with whole wheat flour, lots of cinnamon, 1/2 the called for butter, and about 1/3 of the brown sugar.   Faith did not like her hands being sticky from the cinnamon and butter.
So she just licked them clean.
After it baked, we tucked the little plastic baby inside.
And Grace covered the top with purple, green, and yellow sugar.  King cakes are typically loaded with sugar.  That's why I cut the filling by so much.
And as I was taking a picture of our finished product, I saw Grace licking the counter top.
She said she was cleaning the sugar off for me.  How sweet.

I will say that I enjoyed the baking more than I did the eating.  I'm not much of a fan of crunchy sugar.  In fact, I think I'd just prefer a donut or a cinnamon roll next time, but Faith and Grace both loved it.    Of course, they love anything with sugar in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...