Saturday, April 3, 2010

Nature in our backyard

After the Easter egg hunt today, we decided to try our luck at fishing off the pier.
It was gorgeous outside - warm, but not too hot with a strong breeze.  The sky was slightly overcast so the sun wasn't beating down too hard on us.  It felt great!
We spotted a number of birds.  After looking this fellow up, I found that he is a Great White Egret and is sometimes called Great White Heron.  Last year we watched Ally, our local alligator, eat one.  At the time I thought it was some type of crane.  It is certainly a beautiful creature.
Shortly after spotting our white egret, this Great Blue Heron stopped in for a visit. 
Grace enjoyed watching the birds with me while David fished, but she worried that her hat would fly off.  She kept saying, "It's pri-ee wind-ee out here.  I done wun my hat to fie away!"  (It's pretty windy out here.  I don't want my hat to fly away!)  So she kept a tight grip on it and only periodically blew her bubbles.
Then Grace spotted this laughing gull - seriously, that's its name - and pointed him out and told me to take a "pix-ur" (picture). 
Then a storm started to move in so we headed home.  It sure was fun spending another beautiful day outdoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...