Friday, June 11, 2010

Baked Alaska

This was my very first attempt at making Baked Alaska and I must admit that I now understand why it is listed as a "difficult" recipe.  I made it a little easier by cheating and using a box cake mix and store bought ice cream.   But the timing is critical for this delicious dessert and who knew meringue could be so particular?  Anyway, I enjoyed making it and enjoyed eating it even more.  Enjoy!
And yes, the flame was a little underwhelming for what I expected but still pretty neat!
Be careful with those flames - it's easier than I thought to burn my meringue!

Ingredients
cake (I cheated and used a box mix)
ice cream (I used Bluebell's homemade vanilla - our favorite!)
meringue topping (recipe below)
1/4 cup dark rum

Assembly
Line an oven-safe pan with plastic wrap.  Place 1/2 of cake on the bottom of the plastic wrap.  Top the cake with about 1-2 inches of ice cream.  Layer the 2/2 of cake on top of the ice cream.  Wrap the entire cake and ice cream with the plastic wrap.  Place in freezer and freeze for 4 hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Remove Alaska from freezer.  Remove plastic wrap.  Cover the cake and ice cream completely with meringue and seal all sides with meringue.

Bake Alaska in oven for 2-3 minutes until the top begins to brown.  Pull out of oven and pour liquor on top.  Ignite.  Serve immediately.


Meringue topping
4 egg whites
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar

Beat egg whites until foamy.  Add cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form.  Gradually add sugar until the peaks become stiff and glossy.

I learned that it is really important to not get any yolk in your meringue or it will never form really good peaks.  That's why my meringue looks more like marshmallow fluff...
 Here's David and Grace watching our tiny little flames on the Baked Alaska while the right side is starting to burn...

The looks leave much to be desired, but how did it taste?  Let's ask Grace...
It's awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...