Sunday, June 6, 2010

Something has finally clicked

Potty training.  It's something that we have been struggling with for months off and on, but now I think Grace finally gets it.  Mostly.  Last Saturday, she tee-teed in the potty seven times without once wetting her diaper.  

Then on Sunday she woke me up by yelling up the stairs that she needed some help.  When I came down, she had already taken off her pajama pants and diaper and said she needed to go tee-tee.  And sure enough she did.  She also pottied like a big girl 2 more times, but then her schedule got knocked out  of whack.  Taking her to church and then having friends come over for the day caused her to lose her concentration or something.  Then the same thing happened on Monday when my family stopped by to go out for lunch.

Tuesday David went back to work at his office for the first time since his surgery.  He worked from home all last week. Grace and I worked on going to the potty most of the week but it was still hit or miss since we left the house a few times and Grace was sick so we didn't even attempt those days.

Then yesterday we drove over to Foley for the afternoon.  We walked around the shops and then I had to go to the bathroom.  Grace shocked me by saying she needed to tee-tee in the potty, too.  And she did!  And she pottied 3 more times after we got home.  She was in the middle of taking her bath when she told me she needed to tee-tee in the potty, so I got her out, put her on the potty and Grace did her business.  When she was finished, we cleaned her up and she got back in the tub and played for another 15 minutes.  Amazing!

This morning was the most surprising yet.  I got up to take Chloe out and when I came back inside, I heard Grace calling for some help.  Much to my surprise, she was sitting on the potty, had already tee-teed, and was waiting for help to get up to the sink and wash her hands.  

I think she just might be potty trained.  Finally.  I'm sure the rewards have something to with it...
But it really hasn't been as difficult as it could have been.  We've been trying off and on for months now, but my philosophy has been to stop when it's too much of an ordeal.  Mostly we'd take a few weeks off when Grace would throw a tantrum when I'd try to get her to sit on the potty and yell out things like "I dun won to poh-ee!" (I don't want to potty!)  A few weeks later, we'd try again.  Finally, finally!  She not only seems interested but willing to potty like a big girl.  We may have her in big girl panties by the time Little Indy comes along after all...  I certainly hope so.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...