Wednesday, March 9, 2011

In the event of a disaster

A storm is coming our way.
I love to watch storms roll in.  But with this storm we were actually under a tornado warning. 
So of course, I ran upstairs to watch it from our balcony.  Grace was at school and I wanted to be prepared to run and grab Faith if that tornado headed my way.  I never did see one, but I did watch the birds squawk and go a little crazy diving into the water.  Since they weren't flying off in mass swarms, I really wasn't too worried.  Animals have a sixth sense about weather, you know...
I also got to see quite the lightning show.  I especially like seeing it crack down from the heavens. 

But just so you don't think I'm completely off my rocker, I do have a plan in the event of a disaster.  First, I would grab my babies and then Chloe and then take off to our pantry where we would hole up until the storm passed or the calvary came to rescue us.  Attention all readers, if my home is ever demolished by a tornado and they send in the search dogs looking for us, please point them towards my pantry.  That's where we'll be.  Along with tons of doggie treats as an added incentive for those working puppies.  I figure my pantry is the most centrally located place and supported area in our home and it's full of canned tuna and juice boxes.  We could survive for weeks there... 

In the event of a hurricane or other type of major disaster (ie., if those birds started a mass migration from here, then I probably will, too), then I most certainly will be one of the first to evacuate.  Here's my list of evacuation necessities:

my 100 or so cans of tuna and a hurricane proof can-opener
all our bottled water and juice boxes
a 10 pound bag of rice
my 2 gallons of olive oil

 As a brief side note, if you have never seen the TV series "Surviving Disaster" you should definitely check it out.  I learned that you should keep a stockpile of about 100 cans of tuna, a 10 pound bag of rice, and about 2 gallons of vegetable oil on hand.  That stockpile (in addition to water, of course) is enough for a family of 4 to survive for 3 months.  Plus they have shelf life of years!  The tuna provides the necessary proteins, the rice gives you the carbs for energy, and the oils provide your fats.  Amazing. 
my cast iron skillet and stock pot
a small hatchet
several rolls of duck tape 
all the guns and ammo I can find
our emergency cash supply
the folder with all our important documents (ie., passports, birth certificates, life insurance papers, etc)
our 1TB external hard drive
Grace's baptism gown
Grace and Faith's baby books 
small suitcase packed with a few changes of clothes and toiletries

What would you pack and take if you had to evacuate?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...