Thursday, September 16, 2010

Oh, possum!

David was going out the front door to take Chloe for a walk when he jumped back inside and slammed the door shut.  He turned to me with an incredulous look on his face and said there's a possum on our doorstep.  I didn't believe him.  Until I opened up the door and and what I we see?
 A possum!  We couldn't figure out how in the world he managed to climb to the third story of our building and find our front door.  Or why our stairs.  So of course I ran and woke Grace up and grabbed her and the camera to get a closer look.
 The flash from the camera spooked him a bit so he ran through the railing to our neighbor's patio. 
When Grace saw it she said, "Yook, Momma!  It's a tang-a-WOO!"  (Look, Momma!  It's a kangaroo!)  When I told her it wasn't a kangaroo, it was a possum; she sat there quietly for a minute and then said, "Maybe duh tang-a-WOO needs a snack.  Wood dat be a date eye-dee-uh?"  (Maybe the kangaroo needs a snack.  Would that be a great idea?)  Apparently she didn't believe it wasn't a kangaroo.  And she wanted to feed it.  We didn't though.  We just kept watching the opossum play "possum."

Then Grace decided that "Dat tang-a-woo is dur-ee.  Maybe he need uh baff."  (That kangaroo is dirty.  Maybe he needs a bath.)  I asked her if she wanted him to take a bath in her bathtub and she got really excited and said, "Yeah!  Ets give him a baff in my baff tub!  Uh bubb-lee baff in my baff tub!"  (Yeah!  Let's give him a bath in my bathtub!  A bubbly bath in my bathtub!)  Hmmm.  That wasn't the reaction I was expecting. 

So I told her she could go pick him up and take him to her bathroom and we'd give him a bath.  Grace paused for a moment and then looked at me and said, "Maybe I hold duh fash-lite."  (Maybe I'll hold the flashlight.)
Grace and I stayed outside and watched that possum for the longest time.  And we talked and talked about her "tang-uh-WOO" (kangaroo).   Much to my surprise, that poor possum finally yawned at us and then curled up and went to sleep.  Unbelievable!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...